1. Daniel Woodbury
    Daniel Woodbury December 2, 2022 at 6:51 pm | | Reply

Erica, you always create an interesting (and sometimes emotional, for me) podcast. I think that I haeard an earlier one with Forrest, more focused on the herd. IMHO, you have hit a grand slam with this one. Deer camp… talk about deer, and cows, and other natural stuff. Then take on mortality, as if it’s the next logical step. And home burial. And willing your friend to survive so thy can help build their casket. Damn. I want to meet this man, and I’d like to meet you, too.

2. Kathy Keizer
    Kathy Keizer December 3, 2022 at 11:17 am | | Reply

Oh Erica this was wonderful. Forest is one of a dying breed around here, I think. You are lucky to know him. And he, to know you. He has such a practical but emotional connection to the land and the animals he is responsible for, not to mention his care for his partner. What a decent human being!
    Thank you for doing this work that you do.

3. David Sysko
    David Sysko December 3, 2022 at 1:27 pm | | Reply

Mr. Forrest Foster is a treasure and your show is a gift. Thank you.

4. Ken
    Ken December 3, 2022 at 3:54 pm | | Reply

Hi Erica, loved this for its basic honesty. I find that so beautiful. I worked for a number of years in a hospice as a caregiver and met people like Forrest who could sit and talk and the approach of death not hidden. Not desired, not made light of or avoided just understood and accepted when the time came. The wheel turns.
    Maybe whats next for you is the book you have in you. 🙂
    Thanks

5. Barbara
    Barbara December 4, 2022 at 10:38 am | | Reply

I would love to spend some time with Forrest and he can put me to work. My doctor says to just keep moving (I’m 82) but purposeful moving appeals to me more than walking just to get the heart rate up . And I loved the story about how to plant garlic!!! I have some friends who will appreciate that one. So, come spring I will invite myself for a day of work with you, Forrest….and Erica who, it turns out is my daughter. I am happy you two have “connected”.

6. Deborah A Weatherston
    Deborah A Weatherston December 4, 2022 at 2:27 pm | | Reply

I love finding your email with announcement of another Rumblestrip Vermont episode. Forrest is so wise in how he is able to go about his life, simply, deeply, wonderfully. How amazing to hear about his work, his love of animals, his love of people. Thank you for this gift of 17 minutes.

7. Martin
    Martin December 4, 2022 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

As a university student from the Netherlands, I think my life could hardly be any more different from how Forrest lives his, but like you, I do feel like I learn a lot by listening to him. We all feel lonely sometimes, and even though I am not sure I will ever even make it to Vermont, I am very glad I got to know a bit about him and how he handles that fact of life.

8. Siobhan
    Siobhan December 5, 2022 at 5:08 am | | Reply

I really loved this episode. It was also nice hearing Her Gomes mentioned. Forrest has a great way of talking

9. Annie Greensfelder
    Annie Greensfelder December 5, 2022 at 11:20 am | | Reply

Please, more Forrest interviews! I want to know: how was this man raised, what forces were at work during his childhood, how is he able to express himself so clearly, how is it that he is (seemingly*) devoid of guile? Thank you, Erica, for yet another well-edited glimpse into humanity.

*just had to pop that in, as a tired old cynic who is tired of being cynical

10. Richard
    Richard December 7, 2022 at 1:18 am | | Reply

Thank you, Erica. So much. I usually listen to your show in the depths of the night, down here on the other side of the world in New Zealand and I don’t know what it is but you never fail to raise an emotion in me. I’ve listened to your podcast with tears of joy at the sheer humanity I hear. A bright light in the heart of the night.
    One day I’d like visit the North East Kingdom and say hello

11. Ralph Rockwell
    Ralph Rockwell December 10, 2022 at 6:40 pm | | Reply

Erica another Great show with Forrest , I am just going to have to make time to visit him

12. Graham Hay
    Graham Hay December 12, 2022 at 6:31 am | | Reply

Thanks for your podcast Erica, it was a great listen! Forrest Foster sounds like a fascinating guy. Best wishes to you all.

Cheers,
    Graham
    (Glasgow, Scotland)

13. Mary
    Mary December 13, 2022 at 2:44 pm | | Reply

Gosh! I can’t find the words and don’t need to repeat what folks have said above…..Your podcast, Erica, reflects raw humanity in all of its colors, emotions, beauty and toughness. Just love this, Erica, thank youuuuuuu! And I am sending the link on garlic planting to my dear friends who have a garlic farm in Orange, MA…..

14. Sarah
    Sarah December 14, 2022 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

Erica! Your podcasts make me incredibly connected with the world and the people in it. Thank you for creating them. You have added so much to my life with your creations.

15. Judith Levine
    Judith Levine December 16, 2022 at 11:37 am | | Reply

Lovely piece, Erica.

Paul and I have lived just up the road from Forrest for some decades–Paul going on 45 years, me over 30. He hays one of our fields, we get mulched hay, manure, and wood chips from him. Etc. The usual neighborly exchange; now it’s called “mutual aid.” He’s also an excellent source of gossip (though as a journalist I usually look for substantiation). Whenever you ask how he is, he says he’s happy. “I wake up happy and I go to bed happy.”

Forrest is a pleasing combination of straightforward and enigmatic. Once he asked to use part of the field to grow potatoes. Of course he could. But at the time Karen was still keeping an enormous garden. Why did he need more space? “People will be needing food.”

In your piece, I like when he says “We hung ’em up and skun ’em.”

We’ll have you up to dinner after chores one of these evenings.

16. Marilyn
    Marilyn December 16, 2022 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Loved this piece! Forrest speak so much like a few of my family members – most of whom are gone now. Was such a treat to spend time hearing your conversation about life.

17. Wendy
    Wendy December 27, 2022 at 9:37 am | | Reply

Thanks Erica, I was a student at the University of Vermont and loved exploring. Your interviews take me to the heart of the state and the people which is very dear.

18. Melanie Roberts
    Melanie Roberts January 2, 2023 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

I love all of your episodes, but this one was really terrific.

19. Ed Prendeville
    Ed Prendeville January 2, 2023 at 9:56 pm | | Reply

Hi Erica,

A serious question here – do you think Forrest would take on an apprentice? In learning how to tend the farm and hunt deer? I want to make a life for myself as amongst nature as his is, but can’t see routes in at present.

Best wishes from a faithful listener,

Ed

20. Jay Callahan
    Jay Callahan January 7, 2023 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

Thanks so much to the both of you. Enjoyed listening.

From Windham County