1. Tim
    Tim December 18, 2021 at 10:08 am | | Reply

This was great. I live in the western part of the state and I am not a hunter but I’ve always been interested in hunters in Vermont. It was good to hear about it from a wildlife biologist’s point of view. I worry some that there are well meaning factions in Vermont that make a lot of assumptions about what is right or wrong for other people, without actually knowing the people theyre making judgements about. The hunters I know are passionate about protecting wildlife like Will is and have long ties to the land they hunt on. Sure there are the twisted tea/bud lite hunters that probably give everyne a bad name, but I think it would be good if everyone could judge less and ask more questions.

1. Wondercabinet
      Wondercabinet December 21, 2021 at 7:11 pm | | Reply

I like this guy. I have been tuned in to this conservationist hunter culture since moving to West Virginia and it is something that people need to exposed to. So thank you for your wonderful (as usual) show!

Also: It is incredible that even down here there are Bud Light/Twisted Tea hunters! They must market to that demographic

2. Louis Porter
    Louis Porter December 19, 2021 at 9:14 am | | Reply

Wow! What an incredible piece of audio journalism. Thank you, Erica and Will!

Lp

3. phil gentile
    phil gentile December 19, 2021 at 11:38 am | | Reply

Thank you Erica for another insightful post. Will is such a thoughtful person who so simply and eloquently shared his philosophy on connecting with the Vermont landscape. Although I’m not a hunter, I would relish the opportunity like you had to spend time with Will. Let us hope he continues to mentor others with his incredible knowledge of biology and the great outdoors.

1. Michael
      Michael December 20, 2021 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

I just want to say that whenever I hear Erica’s voice pop up on my podcast feed, I am instantly filled with a calm feeling of being at home. Your work is so poignant and comforting. Thank you so much!

4. Rodney Elmer
    Rodney Elmer December 20, 2021 at 11:31 am | | Reply

A Real modern day Lorax. A person, white nature, that wants to play an infinite game. Who understands the importance of unity among people and nature.A real man who understands the difference between a natural working system and resentful desires.

5. Paul
    Paul December 20, 2021 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

What a great interview, as always! Personal and informative, Taking us down unexpected roads to explore.
    I’m both a hunter and a green weenie. As Will said, not an easy place to be. Glad there are people like him keeping the finer points of balance.

6. Susan Ritz
    Susan Ritz December 21, 2021 at 11:24 am | | Reply

What a great show! I didn’t know there was so much animosity against hunters. I guess long ago, when I first came to VT in the 70s I didn’t understand it either. But I recently found myself vociferously defending the tradition to my very ant-hunting daughter-in-law from Seattle. Though I’m not a hunter, I know many now. I hear them say the same thing Will did. It’s about being part of the woods, observing in such a different way, being present to the wonder of the world around them. My Republican relatives were all hunters and anglers back in Minnesota. They were also the staunchest conservationists I’ve known. Their love of the woods and the streams ( and dogs!)began many of the organizations now fighting to protect habitat.

7. maureen sullivan
    maureen sullivan December 23, 2021 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

I had the good fortune to meet Will many years ago when he was working as a biologist for Champion Paper in Pittsburg, NH. He gave me great tips on where to hunt in the Magalloway area. I share his dismay at the lack of tolerance in the region today. As someone who has hunted with a great bird dog I could hear the sadness in his voice as he described the loss of his hunting partner. Will is the epitome of a sportsman and a woodsman. As I listened to this episode I was reminded of when Will discovered a breeding population of lynx in a protected region of wilderness in the NEK. It is through the advocacy of men and women like him that have made that win possible. Bravo Will, may you walk the ridges for many years to come.